Keys for a Honda were found near Kennedy Rd and Greentree. Please call Townhall to claim.
- TRANQUILITY - GREENDELL - LAKE TRANQUILITY - HUNTSBURG - HUNTSVILLE -
In November 1823, the southern portion of Sussex County was set off as a separate county known as Warren County. The northern portions of Hardwick and Independence Township, which remained in Sussex County, became Green Township on December 27, 1824.
In 1829 part of Green Township became Byram Township, but in 1853 Green Township was expanded to include a section of the old Newton Township. In 1904 a portion of Green became Fredon Township. In 1881, the area was listed as 19.65 square miles; and today Green encompasses 16.5 square miles.
The township was named after Ephraim Green, who settled near Greendell in 1770. Many sections of Green retain their identity as Tranquility, Huntsville, Greendell, and Yellow Frame.
Tranquility was originally known as Kennedytown, named for Amos Kennedy who settled here. When the location for the Tranquility Methodist Church was being decided, a disagreement arose over erecting it in Allamuchy or Kennedytown. A compromise was affected, with the church being erected halfway between the two points. To memorialize the agreement, the church was named Tranquility. Later, Kennedytown took the church's name as it's own.
The area around the Yellow Frame Church, erected in 1887, became known as Yellow Frame.
Huntsville, settled about 1750, was known as Pettit's Mills, after a mill established by Thomas Woolverton was sold to Nathaniel Pettit. Judge Abram Hunt, who kept a store there for many years, became the new owner and the town became known as Huntsville.